- Jamora Hamilton successfully defended her PhD and is now Dr. Jamora Hamilton. Congratulations!
- Congratulations to Jamora Hamilton for being awarded a $1,500 Scholarship by the NC Pest Management Association. Jamora received the award at NCPMA’s Annual Pest Control Technicians’ School (Virtual). Screenshot
- Congratulations to Jamora Hamilton for winning a Pest Management Foundation scholarship in the amount of $2,000 to support her studies in the field of urban entomology.
- Congratulations Dr. Johanna Elsensohn for defending her PhD. Johanna has taken a postdoc position with with Tracy Leskey (USDA-ARS, Kearneysville, WV).
- Congratulations and farewell to Eduardo Hatano. Edu accepted a Senior Scientist position with Firmenich, a fragrance and flavor company in Geneva, Switzerland. (Socially distanced farewell)
- Farewell (virtual) to Min Li. After a 12-month sabbatical in our lab, Min headed back home to Tianjin, and Tianjin Normal University. We hope to connect again soon, in person, after the pandemic.
- Maria González-Morales was selected as SMART Ambassador of the DoD Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation (SMART) graduate fellowship program. Congratulations.
- Congratulations to Ayako Wada-Katsumata for being elected as Councilor for the Asia-Pacific Association of Chemical Ecologists (APACE).
- The COVID-19 pandemic did not get in the way of Mauri Hickin and Maria González-Morales successfully completing their written and oral (on Zoom) preliminary exams, qualifying them as candidates for the PhD degree. Hooray!
- Welcome Chris Hayes. Chris completed a MS program in Global Health at Duke University’s Global Health Institute, and started work toward a PhD with us. Welcome!
- Congratulations to Jamora Hamilton and Eduardo Hatano for winning the inaugural awards for PhD students and postdoctoral associates in the Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology. Each will receive up to $750 towards expenses for travel to professional meetings or other eligible professional development expenses.
- Congratulations to Zach and Maryann DeVries on the birth of baby Andrew Thomas DeVries.
- Congratulations to Maria González-Morales for being awarded a $1,500 Scholarship by the NC Pest Management Association. Maria received the award at NCPMA’s Annual Pest Control Technicians’ School, where she also presented a P-Phase 50-minute talk. Aram Mikaelyan presented an update from NCSU and a W-phase talk, and Jamora Hamilton presented a research update. Samantha McPherson participated in pesticide applicator certification training with Mike Waldvogel and Patty Alder.
- Congratulations to Mike Waldvogel for winning the Ort Family Scholarship Award for Outstanding Cooperative Extension Personnel. This award “recognizes members of the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Faculty and Staff who have demonstrated exceptional capacities to empower people and provide solutions through their professional leadership and vision.”
- We had an excellent Entomological Society of America meeting in St. Louis, Missouri. Nine lab members attended and gave paper presentations, including Saveer Ahmed, Zach DeVries, Maria González-Morales, Jamora Hamilton, Eduardo Hatano, Mauri Hickin, Samantha McPherson, Ayako Wada-Katsumata, and Coby Schal. Zach and Coby organized a symposium on Indoor Pests and Human Health: Advocating for Interdisciplinary Interactions. Ayako and Eduardo presented in a symposium on Cuticular Hydrocarbons in Insect Communication and Physiology.
- Congratulations to Jamora Hamilton for winning 1st place in the MUVE paper presentation competition of the Entomological Society of America meeting in St. Louis, Missouri. Jamora’s paper: “Effects of ingesting the insect growth regulator novaluron on German cockroach (Blattella germanica) survivorship, feeding behavior, and reproduction”.
- Min Li arrives from Tianjin Normal University for a 12-month sabbatical in our lab. Welcome!
- Congratulations to Zach DeVries for being selected as one of 13 nationwide NIH-DP5 (NIH Director’s Early Independence Award) award winners. This high risk/high reward program transitions graduate students directly into independent faculty positions. The award is $1.25 million direct costs for 5 years. This is a first for NC State and for the Triangle (Duke, UNC-CH). Zach will take the award to his new tenure-track Urban Entomology position at the University of Kentucky. NCSU Press Release NCSU Graduate School NIH Press Release NIH Director’s Early Independence Award Recipients Media: PCT Weeknews.org WRAL
- Congratulations to Maria González-Morales for being selected by the Pest Management Foundation Board of Trustees to receive a $2,000 scholarship to support her studies in urban entomology. The Pest Management Foundation’s mission is to advance the pest management industry through education, research, and outreach.
- Zach DeVries interviewed on the National Pest Management’s NPMAbugbyte. Episode 2: Zach Devries Highlights Exciting Bed Bug and Cockroach Research. Listen live
- Congratulations to Jamora Hamilton for being selected for the National Pest Management 2019 internship program. Jamora attended PestWorld in San Diego October 15-18, the largest annual gathering in the world of pest management professionals. She presented in a session: The Next Generation of Urban Entomologists.
- Congratulations to Maria González-Morales for being selected to compete at the NCALS Research Competition that includes a 2-minute presentation accompanied by a single slide.
- Fan Zhang arrives from Shandong Normal University for a 6-month sabbatical in our lab. Welcome!
- Madhavi Kakumanu presented a talk at the Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America in Louisville, Kentucky. Her talk on “Microbial diversity of urban pests: German cockroach vs Bed bug” was part of a session on Using Microbiomes of Non-Model Invertebrates to Test Ecological Theory.
- Coby Schal completed a year as President of the International Society of Chemical Ecology, at the annual meeting at Georgia Tech in Atlanta.
- Saveer Ahmed presented a paper at the Annual NC State University Postdoc Symposium on “Mating and starvation modulate host-seeking and feeding behavior in bed bug females, Cimex lectularius“.
- Congratulations Maria González-Morales and Jamora Hamilton for winning NC State Graduate School Diversity Enhancement Grant Awards.
- See Gizmodo article about our lab, by Ed Cara, photos by Jeff Camaratti of Getty Images: Blood Feasts and Roach Vacuums: The Life of an Urban Pest Scientist.
- Congratulations Maria González-Morales for receiving a $2,000 Pi Chi Omega Scholarship award.
- Congratulations to Eduardo Hatano for winning 3rd place at the NCALS Research Competition that included a 2-minute presentation accompanied by a single slide. Photo
- Saveer Ahmed presented a paper at the 20th Annual Student/Postdoc Symposium of the W. M. Keck Center for Behavioral Biology on “Mating and starvation modulate host-seeking and feeding behavior in bed bug females, Cimex lectularius“.
- Congratulations to Colin Funaro for winning the W. M. Keck Center for Behavioral Biology 2019 Robert and Margaret Grossfeld Award in recognition of the best publication of 2018: Funaro C.F., Böröczky, K., Vargo, E.L. and Schal, C. 2018. Identification of a queen and king recognition pheromone in the subterranean termite, Reticulitermes flavipes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1721419115. (see the paper and media coverage at Publications)
- Congratulations Jamora Hamilton for passing the written and oral PhD qualifying exams.
- Congratulations to Jamora Hamilton and Mauri Hickin for being selected as part of a group of 18 students from the College of Veterinary Medicine, the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, and the Graduate School to participate in the 2019-2020 Graduate Peer Mentoring Collaborative, designed to train select PhD students in the skills of mentoring and supporting them to design a mentoring initiative for their departments/programs.
- Congratulations Maria González-Morales for winning a DoD Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation (SMART) graduate fellowship for her research on bed bugs: $38,000 annual stipend for 3 years. Way to go, Maria!
- Zach DeVries accepted a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Urban Entomology at the University of Kentucky. CONGRATULATIONS!
- Kudos to Maria González-Morales for winning 1st place in the PhD Poster Competition at the Southeastern Branch Meeting of the Entomological Society of America, Mobile, Alabama.
- Congratulations to the NC State Team for winning the South Eastern Branch, Entomological Society of America, Linnaean Games! NC State triumphed over Arkansas (90–35), Clemson (100–50), and, in the finals, against Florida (150–60). They will go on to compete at the national level in St. Louis at the annual meeting in November. Team members are left to right, Samantha McPherson, Meredith Spence Beaulieu, Maria González-Morales and Laura Kraft. The team is coached by Matt Bertone.
- Congratulations Mauri Hickin for winning 2nd place in the 10 min oral presentation competition of the Entomology Graduate Student Symposium.
- Congratulations Samantha McPherson for passing the oral and written PhD qualifying exams.
- Eduardo Hatano represented the W.M. Keck Center for Behavioral Biology at the Animal Behavior Conference of the Center for the Integrative Study of Animal Behavior at Indiana University. Eduardo presented a poster on “Environmental factors as activating agents of semiochemicals for the American cockroach, Periplaneta americana“.
- Happy Valentine’s Day: Coby Schal in Five reasons to fall in love with the cockroach
- Zach DeVries‘s paper on Total Release Foggers in BMC Public Health. Link NCSU Press Release Science UPI Science Daily EurekAlert Phys.org Fox News New York Post Business Standard Yahoo News Foreign Affairs Tech Times News-Medical.net Gizmodo PCT Magazine C&EN Boing Boing Earth.com Beyond Pesticides FairWarning The Doctor will See you Now The Medical News Tucson Sentinel NC Health News Science Magazine Natural History Magazine ABC Raleigh (2:40 min video) WRAL Raleigh (3:30 min video)
- Congratulations to Samantha McPherson for receiving the 2019 North Carolina Pest Management Association Graduate Student Scholarship during the NCPMA 69th annual Pest Control Technicians’ School. More than 1,000 attended this event, the largest State association meeting in the world! Patricia Alder, Mike Waldvogel and Samantha McPherson provided pesticide applicator certification training for 120 pest management employees preparing for the pesticide applicator exams for household and wood-destroying pests as well as structural fumigation. Maria González-Morales presented a research update, and Coby Schal conducted P-phase training.
- NCSU’s Urban Structural Entomology Program teamed up with the NC Pest Management Association for the first annual NCSU Hands On Training (“HOT”) program held at the training facility. Patricia Alder, Mike Waldvogel and Samantha McPherson ran the HOT class.
- Coby Schal and Dr. Felicia Rabito of Tulane University’s School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine have received the 2018 HUD Secretary’s Award for Healthy Homes for their collaborative project investigating the role of cockroaches on the quality of homes in the inner city, and on their roles in asthma morbidity in low income children.
- Zach DeVries featured in NC State’s Alumni Magazine.
- Coby Schal and Ayako Wada-Katsumata among a team reporting the sequencing of the genome of the German cockroach in Nature Ecology and Evolution: NCSU blog Univ of Münster Public My Science Innovations Report Phys.org AlphaGalileo EurekAlert R&D Brinkwire BrightSurf Pest Control Technology; Related stories: NY Times LiveScience FoxNews.com Inside Science ZME Science Week Facts.
- Colin Funaro‘s paper on termite pheromones in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences receives media coverage: NCSU Press Release Texas A&M Press Release EurekAlert ScienceDaily Technology Networks Cosmos ZME Science.
- Welcome Maria González-Morales as a new PhD student after completing a M.S. with Alvaro Romero at New Mexico State University. Maria was awarded an NCSU Graduate Fellowship and a Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) Doctoral Fellowship.
- Coby Schal selected to NCSU’s Research Leadership Academy.
- Zachary DeVries awarded the Southeastern Branch of the Entomological Society of America John Henry Comstock Award.
- Coby Schal selected to NCSU’s Academy of Outstanding Faculty Mentors.
- Zach DeVries‘s paper on bed bug-produced histamine in PLoS ONE receives media coverage: NCSU Press Release EurekAlert Phys.org Newsweek MedPage Today Science News Doctors Lounge SigmaXi SmartBrief PCT Magazine WNCN-CBS NC UPI News Medical Ars Technica WPXI Pittsburgh Tech Times Atlanta Journal Constitution.
- Emily Vernon wins 2018 CALS Senior Outstanding Research Award.
- Congratulations to award winners at the National Conference on Urban Entomology (Cary, NC): Emily Vernon — Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award; Samantha McPherson — 1st Prize Graduate Student Paper Competition; Jamora Hamilton — 2nd Prize Graduate Student Paper Competition.
- Coby Schal elected President of the International Society of Chemical Ecology.
- Jamora Hamilton awarded NC Pest Management Association Scholarship.
- Coby Schal named Outstanding Faculty Mentor by the NCSU Graduate School. Schal has directed or co-directed 40 M.S. and Ph.D. students and 40 postdoctoral fellows.
- Zach DeVries appointed postdoc. Congratulations!
- Zachary DeVries received the Southern Region IPM Center Friends of IPM Graduate Student Award, PhD category. He was recognized at the 9th International IPM Symposium (Baltimore, MD) and the National Conference on Urban Entomology (Cary, NC).
- Michiel van Wijk & Jeremy Heath paper in Scientific Reports: Link NCSU Univ of Amsterdam Science Newsline AlphaGalileo EurekAlert! Phys.org La Vanguardia ScienceDaily Science (related).
- Jing Tao arrives from Forestry College of Beijing Forestry University for 12 months in our lab. Welcome!
- Emily Vernon awarded NCSU Undergraduate Research Grant for research on Blattabacterium in the German cockroach.
- Lab work on baits covered by PCT Magazine.
- BugFest covered by the News & Observer NC Health News.
- Angela Sierras awarded NCSU Graduate School Doctoral Dissertation Completion Grant.
- Angela Sierras awarded North Carolina Entomological Society Outstanding PhD Student.
- Zach DeVries successfully defended his Dissertation research. Congratulations!
- Zach DeVries awarded the International IPM Doctoral Student award of Excellence.
- Colin Funaro successfully defended his Dissertation research. Congratulations!
- Yang Liu back to China after a year in our lab. See you soon!
- Angela Cruise successfully defended her Dissertation research. Congratulations!
- Angela Sierras wins a Graduate School Diversity Enhancement Grant Award. Congratulations!
- Michael Fisher successfully defended his Dissertation research. Congratulations!
- Johanna Elsensohn selected as a member of the 2017-18 Preparing the Professoriate program. Congratulations!
- Shiyong Yang arrives from Anhui Normal University (Wuhu, China) for 12 months in our lab. Welcome!
- Saveer Ahmed arrives as a new postdoc in chemical ecology.
- Yvonne Matos successfully defended her Dissertation research. Congratulations!
- At the North Carolina Entomological Society: Zach DeVries won the Outstanding Ph.D. Student Award, Michael Fisher won second place in the poster competition, and undergraduate Lauren Jurczak presented a poster.
- Michael Fisher was one of 10 finalists at the Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition.
- BugFest covered by the News & Observer.
- Eduardo Hatano wins first place in the Bayer Symposium poster competition.
- Aya Yanagawa (Kyoto University, Uji, Japan) wins an OECD award to spend 4 months in our lab investigating grooming in insects.
- Zach DeVries won first place, and Colin Funaro and Michael Fisher won second place in their respective sections in the Student Oral Presentation at the 2016 International Congress of Entomology.
- Johanna Elsensohn, Jennifer Baltzegar, Sophia Webster and Nicole Gutzman won the overall best Debate at the 2016 International Congress of Entomology.
- Michael Fisher was promoted to Lt. Commander in the U.S. Navy.
- Alex Ko takes position as Regional Technical Manager at McCloud Services.
- Jamora Hamilton awarded a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship.
- Angela Cruise (Bucci) accepted a position as Product Developer with Carolina Biological Supply Company.
- Coby Schal awarded NCSU’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Outstanding Adviser Award.
- Alexis Barbarin accepts a position as Public Health Entomologist with the State of NC. Congratulations!
- Yang Liu arrives from the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences (Beijing) for 12 months in our lab. Welcome!
- Zach DeVries awarded the 2016 Lillian and Alex Feir Graduate Student Travel Award in Insect Physiology, Biochemistry, or Molecular Biology from the Entomological Society of America.
- Coby Schal awarded the Nan-Yao Su Award for Innovation and Creativity in Entomology from the Entomological Society of America.
- Johanna Elsensohn was awarded a 2-year, $5,000 per year Graduate Student Fellowship from The Center for Environmental Farming Systems (CEFS).
- Michael Fisher and Angela Sierras were each awarded a $2,000 Scholarship from Pi Chi Omega, the National Pest Control Fraternity.
- Zach DeVries awarded a 2016 National Conference on Urban Entomology Scholarship to attend the NCUE meeting in Albuquerque, NM.
- Angela Sierras awarded $2,000 Graduate School Diversity Enhancement Grant.
- Schal i5k paper in Nature Communications on the bed bug genome: Link NCSU Washington Post Business Insider Genome Web U.S. News & World Report The New Yorker The Australian
- Angela Sierras awarded $1,500 Scholarship from the North Carolina Pest Management Association.
- Jeremy Heath awarded 2-year Postdoctoral Fellowship from USDA-NIFA.
- Jamora Hamilton awarded IMSD Pre-doctoral Fellowship.
- Eduardo Hatano arrived as a new postdoc in chemical ecology.
- Madhavi Kakumanu arrives as a new postdoc in microbial ecology.
- Rick Santangelo and Zach DeVries in the Technician: NCSU Student Newspaper.
- Johanna Elsensohn was member of the Overall Best Debate Team. Student Debates at Entomological Society of America. Topic: “With the development of tools like RNAi, in the future we may be capable of eradicating species. If we can eradicate a species, should we?” Con position.
- Johanna Elsensohn was selected Science Policy Fellow, Entomological Society of America.
- Ayako Wada-Katsumata paper in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences on gut bacteria and aggregation pheromones: Link NCSU Science Scientific American The Scientist Smithsonian German Public Radio Science Codex EurekaAlert C&EN Daily Mail Inverse Motherboard PCT
- Coby Schal awarded Alexander Quarles Holladay Medal for Excellence, highest faculty award at NCSU.
- Coby Schal awarded Recognition Award in Urban Entomology, Entomological Society of America.
- Zach DeVries awarded $3,000 John V. Osmun Memorial Scholarship from Pi Chi Omega.
- Yvonne Matos awarded $1,500 Scholarship from the North Carolina Pest Management Association.
- Zach Devries awarded $2,000 Foundation for Toxicology and Agromedicine Supplementary Scholarship.
- Zach DeVries awarded Larry Larson Graduate Student Award for Leadership in Applied Entomology from the Entomological Society of America, sponsored by Dow AgroSciences.
- Zach DeVries wins 2nd Place President’s Prize for Presentation at the Entomological Society of America National Meeting.
- Zach DeVries awarded Kirby L. Hays Memorial Award from the Southeastern Branch of the Entomological Society of America,
- Zach DeVries wins 3rd Place for Presentation at the North Carolina State University Entomology Graduate Student Symposium.
- Zach Devries awarded Monsanto Student Research Award from the Entomological Society of America which includes $7,320.
- Zach DeVries awarded Medical, Urban, and Veterinary Entomology Section Student Scholarship ($500) from the Entomological Society of America.
- Uzsák paper on social facilitation of reproduction with motor-driven stimuli in Proceedings of the Royal Society B: NCSU Smithsonian Entomology Today Phys.org RedOrbit
- Saenz paper on bed bugs in Journal of Medical Entomology: ESA Science Daily Philly.com RedOrbit Medical Daily PR Web
- Zach DeVries awarded 2013 Monsanto Student Travel Award which includes an $1800 to support travel meetings
- Alexis Barbarin awarded National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Biology
- Coby receives Crown Leadership Award from Pest Control Technology Magazine and Syngenta
- Ann Carr‘s research on ticks featured in Perspectives
- Ayako Wada-Katsumata glucose taste aversion in cockroaches paper in Science: (see Lab Publications)
NCSU press release Science Podcast (start at 10:10 min) NY Times Associated Press
BBC (narrated video) The Scientist Pest Control Technology Podcast News & Observer
NPR The Christian Science Monitor Daily Mail The Why Files Science News TIME
Los Angeles Times Bloomberg News New Scientist LiveScience.com io9 J Gen Physiol
- Mallis Expert Insights: Q&A with Dr. Coby Schal
- Coby profiled in Pest Management Professional magazine
- Coby interviewed by Terry & Joe Graedon on NPR’s the People’s Pharmacy
- Ada Uzsák awarded the Kenneth R. Keller Award for Excellence in Doctoral Dissertation Research
- Coby comments about insect personality in Pest Control Technology magazine
- Ada Uzsák‘s poster wins at the 8th Annual NCSU Graduate Student Research Symposium
- Katalin Böröczky and Ayako Wada-Katsumata paper on insect antennal grooming in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences: NCSU press release (blog) NPR Science Friday Video Pick of the Week (Audio) (video) Discovery Channel: Why do animals groom? Science Magazine (PDF file) Today’s Science (Science news for students) (PDF file) News & Observer WUNC91.5 BBC News Science daily LiveScience.com Chemical & Engineering News Discover Magazine Science360.gov Smithsonian Magazine Discovery News SigmaXi Smart Briefs National Geographic 4 Kids Huffington Post Neuroscience News PCT Magazine
- Coby profiled in The Scientist Magazine
- Ada Uzsák awarded the North Carolina Entomological Society’s Outstanding Ph.D. Graduate Student Award
- Logu Ponnusamy awarded Entomological Society of America’s Early Career Innovation Award
- Ann Carr’s paper featured as the “Editor’s Choice” in Medical and Veterinary Entomology
- Angela Sierras awarded National Institutes of Health Initiative for Maximizing Student Diversity Fellowship
- Coby Schal Distinguished Member, Sigma Xi 125th Anniversary Celebration
- Angela Bucci awarded National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship
- Coby comments on Alper Bozkurt‘s research with Hissing cockroaches
- Abstract blog of the NC State Newsroom: Know Your Enemy: Cockroaches
- More bed bug coverage: Population genetics
- Pest magazine All things bed bug – the Bed Bug Summit. PDF File
- POPSCI.com Using DNA to track the spread of bed bugs. PDF File
- Infectious Disease News. PDF File
- Parcoblatta pheromone paper in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences: NCSU press release Natural History io9 NPR Science Friday (Spanish) Earth Times
- Coby Schal awarded Silverstein-Simeone Award, International Society for Chemical Ecology
- Our paper in BMC Microbiology on antibiotic resistant microbes in cockroaches: NCSU press release Daily Mail WebMD Food Consumer NPR Fresh Air (radio) Rob Dunn’s guest blog on American Scientist
- Us and our bed bugs in the news: Follow up to ASTMH presentation in Philadelphia (just a few of many)
NPR Science Friday and Blog Science News Scientific American and Blogs
WUNC-FM “The State of Things” (Radio) Nature Blog The Wall Street Journal Chicago Tribune
Washington Post German National Radio New Scientist Health Medical News Today
WebMD U.S. News & World Report Fox News WRAL-TV Raleigh
- Alvaro Romero awarded National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Biology
- Rick Santangelo wins “Award for Excellence” from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Rick Santangelo on WRAL-TV: Bed bugs cause havoc in Triangle: WRAL video
- Us and our bed bugs in the news: TELEMUNDO (Alvaro Romero) NPR Peoples’ Pharmacy WRAL Monica Laliberte
WRAL NCSU looks to stop bedbugs Glens Falls Post-Star PCT NY Daily News WFMY News 2 Greensboro
- Warren Booth’s 2011 paper on parthenogenesis in Boa constrictors: Biology Letters
Discover magazine MSNBC NCSU Press Release BBC Discovery News New Scientist
CBS News U.S. News & World Report WUNC-NPR: The State of Things
- QTL for pheromone receptors in Heliothis: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
NCSU Press Release
- Elsa Youngsteadt wins NCSU Graduate School Thesis and Dissertation Award
- Godfrey Nalyanya’s Forum Journal of Medical Entomology paper: IPM vs. Conventional Pest Control in NC Schools NCSU Press Release Science Daily PHYSORG.com Entomological Society of America Reuters Health Pest Control Technology
- Elsa Youngsteadt wins Kenneth R. Keller Award for Excellence in Doctoral Dissertation Research
- Coby Schal receives NCSU Alumni Outstanding Research Award
- Logu Ponnusamy’s Aedes Oviposition Stimulants: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
NCSU Press Release Chemistry World NY Times Science Daily
PHYSORG.com NCSU’s Perspectives
- Elsa Youngsteadt’s Ant-Garden attractants: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
NCSU Press Release AAAS ScienceNOW. PDF File BioScience. PDF File
Spektrum Direkt (German). PDF File
- Asian cockroach could aid Texas growers: Annals of the Entomological Society of America paper (PDF)
Science Daily USDA
- News & Observer letter: Reward for guzzlers
- Coby Schal receives Research Friend of Extension Award, North Carolina State University
- National Center for Healthy Housing: JACI paper — Effectiveness of Commercial Pest Control
- Astrid Groot’s Evolution of moth pheromone communication: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences NCSU’s Perspectives NCSU CALS News Release
- Coby Schal receives Outstanding Contributions to Entomology Award, NC Entomological Society
- Coby Schal elected Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Coby Schal elected Fellow of the Entomological Society of America
- Pest Control Technology (PCT): NCUE Recognizes Next Generation of Entomologists; Honors Coby Schal
- Toshi Nojima’s paper in Science: German cockroach sex pheromone NCSU News Release
News&Observer: Irresistible cockroach discovery
MSNBC: Sexy ‘perfume’ lures cockroaches to their doom
BBC News: Sex hungry roaches lured to death
- Chad Gore awarded inaugural Bayer Young Scientist of the Year Award NCSU’s Perspectives
- Cockroach allergen mitigation in homes — JACI paper with NIEHS NCSU’s Perspectives:
Baits Alone Cause Surprising Reductions in Roach Allergens NCSU News Release
- Glenn Holbrook’s paper on maternal care in cockroaches: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences NCSU News Release